Tuesday, October 13, 2009

Twists and Turns

Mrs. Duell had reviewed this book so well that I couldn't help but read it -- and am I glad that I did! It is AWESOME! I loved the movie Mystic River, based on the novel by Dennis Lehane -- but loved it with a spine-tingling dread, and aftereffects of reliving certain parts. I had forgotten all of my mixed feelings about Mystic River until I was about 3/4ths of the way through Shutter Island. WOW! I loved the characters - they are so familiar and multi-dimensional. Teddy and Chuck are U.S. Marshalls sent to the island to investigate the disappearance of a woman from this prison/mental institution for the criminally insane. To complicate matters, a hurricane is blowing in. They encounter not just lack of cooperation, but resistance to their questions -- and as time goes on, they begin to suspect that someone is trying to keep them on the island forever. And then the story REALLY goes off in unexpected directions - to my absolute delight. I highly recommend this book to anyone who enjoys mind games, suspense, and thrillers.I couldn't put it down.
Rated: 4 out of 4 stars

2 comments:

Alicia Duell said...

Hooray! I'm so glad you liked it. It's such a thrill when someone loves a book as much as you did. I can't WAIT for the movie!

Senior Staci said...

I saw the movie with Mr. DiCaprio and LOVED it.
Therefore, the book must just be a million times better.
Those sort of takes on plotlines, with all the confusion in the middle, pulling together at the end, really attract me. As Inception was sort of like that too in theatres, that book I would most likely love too. Is that a book? Inception. Just wondering. I would guess it's amusing.