Friday, March 20, 2009

Freedom or Oppression?


My opinion about women "forced" to wear garments to cover themselves have mostly come from books about the Taliban oppressing women in Pakistan and in areas of Africa. Books like My Forbidden Face: Growing Up Under the Taliban, by Latifa; Reading Lolita in Tehran, by Azar Nafisi; A Thousand Splendid Suns, by Khaled Hosseini; and others. So I have always felt sorry for women and girls who were forbidden to reveal their femininity and woman-ness, to become anonymous. Thus, I was surprised by this book as the narrator described her wish to become fully open in her faith, to join the sisterhood and be obvious is her faithfullness to God by wearing the hijab, the headcover or scarf worn by Muslim women. The story takes place in Australia, which leads to some unfamiliar vocabulary and cultural references (which I love). the narrator is in high school, in a community with very little diversity. She shares the same desires and fears of her peers - she wants to be herself, but doesn't want to stand out. Her conflicts ring true in this humorous debut novel - I am anxious to read about her future adventures.
3 out of 4 stars.

No comments: