Sunday, November 16, 2008

Omnivore's Dilemma


My son has been telling me facts from this book for months. I've heard rumblings in various conversations, read in assorted news reports, and have been on the periphery of understanding many "background secrets" of how our diets or overly dependent on Almighty Corn. Well, as a former Iowan, and as a descendant of many Illinois farmers, the chapters on corn and the changes in farming over the past 25 years was fascinating. How agribusiness has changed the planting cycle, the use of the land, the use of pesticides, the way livestock is raised, fed, and butchered -- it all was very depressing and yet, viewed logically, understandable from a purely business perspective. Nutritionally, ethically, and possible-doomsday-apocalyptic-worldly, it is easy to buy into Pollan's view that the changes we have wrought may come back to bite us in the ____. Feed us now, starve us later. . .
This is an important book. But somewhat overwhelming in what it calls for us to change in our daily lives. And leads to the view that "though I may change my own little piece, what possible difference will that make in the world as a whole?" But then, an awareness of global climate change has brought about all sorts of movements and changes -- so maybe we can also bring the world back into harmony agriculturally and food-wise, too. If you haven't read this book, check out at least the first section on corn. I hear the second section, on organic gardening/farming, is also good, so I intend to keep plugging away.
Rating so far: 3 out of 4 stars.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

This book seems interesting..
Of course, I have noticed how obvious it is that food has taken over most of America's population.. Eating healthy has been stressed enough nowadays, but, some people still are being lazy and we are still the most obese country..
I think it's sad.. I'm glad that our school provides smart choices on eating, because, if we just served greasy, nasty, fat-filled food, how would we be setting a good example for when the kids are out of highschool and have to choose food for themselves?
I don't know. That really had nothing to do with the book. But, I was just thinking about it..
I'll try to get my hands on reading that book sometime soon! :]