Tuesday, October 21, 2008

Edgar Sawtelle, part 2


So I finally started reading Edgar (in SPITE of Oprah's recent attention to it!), and so far, it's wonderful! I love the characters, the setting, the pacing -- and the constant sense that something horrible is going to happen -- I just keep turning the pages waiting for that next shoe to drop. It's interesting to be immersed in the life of dog breeders - how it's a living, but also a series of continuing relationships. I'll keep you posted on further impressions, but at this point, it's a very-thumbs-up recommendation. Please respond if you agree OR disagree - - -

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I would think being a dog breeder would be incredibly depressing.. Because you get so friendly with the puppies, and then when you have to sell them, you get so sad.. At least, I know I would.. Since I'd probably become attached to them.. :\

D. Fritz said...

I think that Edgar had some trouble with that aspect -- and his mother, who trained the dogs, had to steel herself from the pain of separation -- she got testy the day of a "placement." Mostly we follow the litter of pups that Edgar trains himself, and by the end of the book most of them had not been given away. The two he DID part with, he felt good about where they went, and with whom. If you have time, try to read Edgar.